CHART REWIND. Managing to sell out their comeback concerts in less than two hours, WelcheMusic revisits Stone Roses’s breakthrough. ‘Fools Gold’ was the group’s sixth single, managing to place the group on the US alternative chart. Following ‘She Bangs the Drums.’ ‘Fools Gold’ was a non-album double A-side paired with ‘What the World Is Waiting For.’ Initially released in November 1989, the single peaked at No.8 in the UK – their first top ten hit. It also charted in Australia, Ireland and the Netherlands.
It was re-released no less than four times (in 1990, 1992, 1995 and 1999), yet it didn’t match the initial peak. In 1990, Run-D.M.C. samples the bassline and drum beat for the 1990 hit ‘What’s It All About.’ ‘Fools Gold’ has also been used in computer games such as FIFA Football 2004 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
Further reading via WelcheMusic:
- Stone Roses Tickets Sold Out in 68 Minutes
- Love Spreads Biggest Hit for the Stone Roses
Listen to Stone Roses via Spotify:
- The Stone Roses – Collection
- The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
- The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses (20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition)