CHART SPOTLIGHT. Taio Cruz’ “Dynamite” bowed atop the UK singles chart earlier tonight. The track has already spent 12 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, and is currently trailing Eminem and Rihanna at No.2. The track was co-written by the Swede Max Martin and produced by Dr. Luke and Benny Blanco. WelcheMusic notes that these songwriters only recently scored a worldwide hit with Katy Perry’s “California Gurls.” “Dynamite” has already reached the top in New Zealand, Ireland and Australia.
»«»«»«»« READ MORE ABOUT TAIO CRUZ»«»««««««««
Taio Cruz Fan? Read earlier blog posts:
23 year old Swedish-Kurd pop singer Darin scores his 18th hit on the Swedish singles tally as “Microphone” bows at No.16. Lifted from the latest album LoveKiller, the track is used in the promotional video for the 2010 season of Idol. No stranger to that talent show, Darin was the runner-up in 2005 beaten by Daniel Lindström.
No less than five tracks have charted from his latest album. Apart from the title track, which soars 14-10 on this week’s singles tally, the following tracks have peaked so far.
- “Viva La Vida” was performed live on Idol last October, topping the charts for two weeks. This actually beats Coldplay’s original chart performance as they peaked at No.7 in May 2008.
- “You’re Out of My Life” was produced by Arnthor of Jennifer Lopez fame and was Darin’s entry in the Swedish leg of the Eurovision Song Contest 2010. It peaked at No.3 this March.
- “Can’t Stop Love” was written especially for the royal wedding of Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling, peaking at No.13 in June.
- “Microphone” bows at No.16 this week.
His LoveKiller album enters at No.2 this week, unable to knock Iron Maiden’s The Final Frontier off the top. Darin’s first three albums (The Anthem, Darin and Break the News) all made it to the top, while 2008’s Flashback peaked at No.10.
Expect Roll Deep to crash the UK singles chart tomorrow with “Green Light.” This is the follow-up to the No.1 single “Good Times.” The track succeeded Diana Vickers’ “Once” in May, earlier this year. “Green Light” features vocals by Tania Foster with appearances from Wiley, J2K, Breeze, Brazen and Scratchy. The track will be included on the upcoming album Winner Stays On, slated for release in October. Roll Deep is one of the hottest acts on the grime scene today, an urban music genre that first emerged in the East London part of Bow in the early 2000s. The style merges influences from UK garage, dancehall and hip hop.
The first grime artist to reach international fame is Dizee Rascal, on the back of winning The Mercury Music Prize for the debut Boy in da Corner. N-Dubz, M.I.A., Tinie Tempah and Tinchy Stryder are other artists in the genre.
Our friends at Billboard has compiled weekly playlists of summer songs. WelcheMusic transformed the latest one into a Spotify playlist and re-discovered Monica, Rob Thomas and Maroon 5.
- Click on the link to listen to the Billboard’s Summer Songs playlist via Spotify.